Friday, September 18, 2009

Day 144 - Just me rambling

Some people have pointed out very lovingly that I have not updated the blog in awhile....so here goes.

Last Thursday while doing my normal bike route with my Mom, she fell and broke her ankle in three places. We took her to the emergency room where they informed us that she would not be going anywhere that weekend (we were all supposed to go to Texas together for some baseball) and that she would be having reconstructive surgery on Friday. So I picked my Dad up at the airport Friday morning and we drove straight to the hospital where we met my Mom in the elevator as they were taking her in for surgery. We got to talk with her for about 60 seconds and then that was that! Her surgery went well and the doctor said she could be back on her bike in 3 months if all goes as planned. I couldn't stop myself from informing him that his platitudes meant nothing considering that we don't usually cycle in January because it's friggin' cold outside. Whateva' Doc......thanks for nothing. Can you tell I'm a little bit upset over losing my riding partner? Well I am! It sucks big time. And I hate it that my Mom, who is a very active person and doesn't do well with relying on others for everything, will be down and out for 8 weeks. But I know that she'll keep a positive attitude and be ready to go again in the Spring. And just think how much stronger she'll be with all that stainless steel or titanium or whatever the crap they used to fix her.

So in the meantime I had to decide if I was still going to haul Jackson down to Texas for the weekend. Todd had to go no matter what because he had to entertain clients at the game on Friday night and then fly to Houston Monday morning and be gone until Wednesday. I decided that being away from him for 6 days was just silly considering that I had already purchased the plane tickets. So we hopped on a flight with him at 4:30 Friday afternoon after the surgery was over and I had already made sure that my Mom was okay.

Then we had a seriously craptastic time in Texas. We flew into Dallas at 5:30 and went straight to the ballpark. Just as gametime was approaching, the Heavens opened up and it began to pour. I'm talking some serious rain. We couldn't even see the stands in right field from the third base side. It was a ridiculous amount of rain. They ended up postponing the game around 9:30 that night and we went to Dad's apartment feeling good that they had made Sunday's game a double-header because we had tickets to that as well. So no big deal. Well then it rained all day Saturday. Todd got up at 6 in the morning and rode over 60 miles in the Tour de Cure in Fort Worth....crazy man! Jackson and I pretty much sat around and did nothing while the rain came down. We awoke Sunday to more rain and headed to the ballpark anyway around 10:45 for the noon start time for the double header. Yeah......you guessed it.....another rain delay. They ended up delaying the game until 5 o'clock. This was awful because Jackson and I had to catch a flight back to Tulsa at 7:30, so we had to leave the ballpark at 5:30! We got to watch 1-1/2 innings before leaving.

I was not in the best of moods when we got the airport, but my dear son lifted my spirits on the plane ride home. He was talking up a storm and everyone around us kept commenting on how cute he was. That always makes a Mom smile! Then when we landed, he did what any good 3-year-old will do from time to time.....he embarrassed the ever-loving crap right out of me! We were in the fourth row so we were among the first people to de-plane in Tulsa. While we were walking toward the door, the flight attendants were going ga-ga about how cute he was, and the pilot opened the cock-pit door to give Jackson a high-five. J marched right up there, slapped his hand with gusto, and immediately turned to me and announced (very loudly) "Mommy, I just pooted"! I couldn't help but laugh as I asked him "well, what do you say?". He turned to the pilot and said "excuse me". At least he's polite about passing gas in public!

God Bless,
The Quitter

No comments:

Post a Comment