Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Day 114 - Calculators and Atrocities

So I had to purchase a new calculator to use on the Principles and Practice of Engineering (PE) exam in October.

It's not enough that they make you take a test to get licensed after torturing you in school for 5 years. To add insult to injury, you have to become familiar with a new calculator. Well that's just craptastic! I have had the same graphing calculator (TI-85) since I was a sophomore in high school. That's 12 years that I've had this same calculator (wow....I'm getting old). I'm not trying to sound like a super-nerd here, but seriously, a scientific mind gets used to using the same calculator and that scientific mind feels naked without said calculator! In short, it sucks big time and I am not happy about taking the PE exam sans clothing (metaphorically speaking of course).

So I finally opened my new "approved" calcualator this morning and noticed something that really hacked me off (more than having to get a new calculator in the first place). There are two user's manuals! Yep......you guessed it.......one in English and one in Spanish. I know that this is not a new concept, but it just made me mad. I probably paid more for that calculator because they had to print two manuals instead of one. We are in the United States of America people! Learn the language or get the heck out of dodge!!!!!

If I were to immigrate to a new country, I wouldn't expect that country's people/government to bend over backwards to make sure I am all nice and cozy and can read calculator manuals. I would do everything I could to assimilate into that culture.....and that starts with learning the friggin' language!!!!!!!

Am I lacking compassion here? Absolutely, but at this point I really don't care.

And while I'm on a roll here.....let's talk about the discrimination that's at work here. I think it is unfair to the Chinese, Arab, Korean, Japanese, German, French, Italian etc. immigrants that are now citizens of this country who do not automatically get consideration when it comes to users manuals (at least in this story). Does Casio think that only Spanish speaking American immigrants deserve special treatment? This is an atrocity and a prime example of discrimation in America at it's worse [obvious sarcasm - but I thought I'd say it because I don't want anyone to think I'm a crazy left-wing nutjob or anything]. =)

In other news, have a wonderful day!

Disclaimer: no calculators were harmed during the creation of this blog (although it was tempting)

No comments:

Post a Comment