Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 229 - When debate turns into a fight!

Anyone who knows me well knows that I really truy hate politics. I've never been one to sit down and debate the merits of this candidate versus that. I do my research at election time, make the best decision that I can given the choices, and then move on down the road.

I'm not saying that those who choose to engage in discussion over politics are somehow doing something wrong, I just don't enjoy it.

Why?

Because I have never seen a single political "discussion" that didn't turn into an all out brawl (unless you count the discussions I've witnessed between my husband and brother-in-law, but those don't count because they agree on most, not all, political and polarizing topics).

I don't agree with my husband on everything. We even disagree on a few very polarizing and important issues, but we've managed to be able to either work through a discussion, or leave that particular topic completely off limits.

I guess what I'm trying to get at people is that we can have healthy debate in this country without going at each others throats all the time. Why is our initial gut reaction always to lash out at someone who holds a different opinion than our own? I'm not saying that I'm perfect....far from it in fact. But when I see something that needs fixing, I try to fix it. And the nature of some "discussions" I have seen as of late need fixing. =)

Let's all start working towards being part of the solution rather than constantly contributing to the problem.

God Bless,
The Quitter

No comments:

Post a Comment